Botulinum toxin is a naturally occurring protein produced by the bacterium Clostridium Botulinum. In a purified form, as is the case with many medications such as Penicillin, Botulinum toxin is a very safe, effective treatment not only used in cosmetic clinics, but also for a number of medical conditions, including migraine and excessive sweating.
Licensed brands of botulinum toxin A include Botox®, Azzalure®, Bocouture®, Xeomin® and Dysport®. All botulinum toxins are prescription only medicines and should only be prescribed by following a face to face assessment and consultation with the qualified prescriber.
How does it work?
The toxin blocks the transition of chemical messages sent from the nerve to cause the muscle to contract. Without these messages, the muscle stays in a resting state until the ‘messengers’ recover. This recovery takes approximately 8 to 12 weeks on average.
The aim of this treatment is to significantly reduce the movement of the muscles causing expression lines (dynamic lines). It may not cause the expression lines themselves to disappear completely, this will depend upon the quality of your skin and may take time over a course of treatments.
Botulinum toxin is not suitable for lines present without expression (static lines), your doctor will advise you. This is not a one size fits all treatment and may be tailored to suit your individual requirements and expected treatment outcomes.
Does it hurt?
A very fine needle is used and generally this treatment is not painful and can be well tolerated. Local anaesthetic cream may be used if required. Ice may also be helpful in numbing the skin as well as reducing the risk of a bruise.
Treatment areas available at Quality Health Care Ltd
• Frown Lines
• Crow’s Feet
• Forehead Lines
• Bunny Lines
• Lip Lines
• Turkey Neck (Neck Bands)
• Jawline (Nefertiti Lift)
• Slimming of Jaw Muscles (Masseters)
• Hyperhidrosis (Excessive Sweating)
• All make up will need to be removed prior to treatment, attend ‘fresh faced’ if possible. Contamination with makeup can cause infection.
• Taking the following within 72 hours of treatment may increase your risk of bruising – Alcohol, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, St. John’s Wort, Fish oils, Gingko Biloba, Vitamins C and E.
Most people are able to continue with normal activities. Some will have some redness, pin-prick marks, possibly minor swelling which should settle within an hour. Bruising may be more apparent the next day and can take up to 10 days to fade. Tenderness should settle within 48 hours. It is possible to suffer a headache or a sensation of tightness or heaviness for a few days following treatment. Pain killers may be taken as required.
After treatment it is expected that you will start to see an improvement within 2 or 3 days. The full result may be judged at 2-3 weeks. You will be invited to attend a review appointment at 2 weeks where the success of the treatment may be assessed and adjustments to your personal treatment plan made if necessary.
Results tend to last 3 months. Movement will begin recovering from 8 weeks. Frequent treatment at intervals of less than 3 months is NOT recommended.
• Make-up should not be worn for 12 hours’ and the skin should be kept clean, with normal cleansing. Do not use cleansing wipes which may irritate the skin.
• Avoid extremes of heat or cold, vigorous exercise, rubbing or wearing tight hats or headgear the day of treatment.
• Keep using your expressions, the toxin is attracted to active muscles.
Side effects include, but are not limited to:
• Swelling at injection sites
• Redness at injection sites
• Asymmetry of expression
• Drooping of the brow, or eyelid
• Headache or a sensation of ‘tightness’ or ‘heaviness’
Am I suitable for treatment?
Your aesthetic doctor will take a detailed medical history and make an assessment of your needs and expectations, to ensure this is an appropriate treatment for you.
Wrinkle Relaxing Injections
|Includes free follow up consultation|
|1 area (frown lines, forehead or crows feet)||£160.00|
|Male treatment supplement per area||£25.00|
Call to book